Thursday, May 13, 2010

A Lack of Original Thinking

The past week or so, I have been sort of beating myself up for not following up on the Tea Party-oriented thread that precedes this one ... I know what I want to say, but between the newspaper I help run, my little publishing company, the book I just got contracted to write, etc., I just haven't had the time to give the subject the attention it deserves. And everyone else who emails me things, makes posts I see to Facebook, and the like, has been dutifully staying on top of their commentary.

And then it struck me: I can't remember the last time anyone sent me anything that reflected an opinion in their own words. It is all other people's ideas -- ideas about healthcare, the president, minorities, etc. -- that they agree with so much that they want to share it with everyone they know.

OK, so not everyone is a writer, not everyone is particularly articulate, and there is nothing wrong with agreeing with what someone else thinks, right? But shouldn't people be expected to come up with their own ideas at least once in awhile? It really does seem a little lazy, a little pathetic, even somewhat ominous.

You may not agree with my views in general, and that's fine; you'll probably be happier if you don't. But, for what it's worth, I do care enough to say what I really think, not just hit "Forward" and distribute someone else's thoughts because I can't come up with any of my own. And the next time you're inclined to do that, please hesitate just a few seconds ... And consider whether you would be saying the same thing if you had to say it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment