Sunday, May 2, 2010

Teabagged in Searchlight, Nevada

SEARCHLIGHT, NEVADA -- My wife and I had the unpleasant experience of being stuck in a traffic jam deep in the desert east of Las Vegas, Nevada, on Saturday, March 27, as a result of a Tea Party rally taking place just outside of the little town of Searchlight. I had originally posted about this to my travelblogue but, as I prefer for that site to remain apolitical, shifted the piece here instead.


During our slow drive past thousands of cars parked alongside both sides of the road, we had the opportunity to look at the Teabaggers -- angry, shambling, salt-of-the-earth racist slobs clad in pieces of American flag, whose rebellion against "big government" completely coincidentally serves the needs of a big business establishment that must despise them even more than the average college-educated moderate.

Did Jews get scared when they saw rallies like this in 1930s Germany? The few blacks and Mexicans driving on the road through this mob scene looked nervous and kept moving.

"Ugh. I find these people to be repugnant," my friend Geo, a professional magician, said to me. "I had a group of these people show up at one of my shows a number of months back. Unfortunately this was prior to my being aware of who and what they were. So I missed a golden opportunity to mock them on stage."

On some level, however, I actually feel sorry for them, because they are just shills and too dumb to see that they are being manipulated and used by the same establishment they think they are protesting. They are, for example, opposed to the Healthcare Bill because it supposedly deprives them of some freedom. Conveniently, however, this also just happens to serve the needs of pharmaceutical insurance companies who want to maintain the status quo. A lot of the Teabaggers clearly are just hateful, nasty people, but I am not oblivious to the fact that a lot of them are just normal folks who are both scared and not bright enough to think for themselves (and, as history has shown, that is an ominous combination).

No comments:

Post a Comment